Saturday, May 13, 2006

Vacation Diary


The past couple of weeks I have been on a whirlwind tour of Tamil Nadu, zipping across the length of the state. Perhaps, I’ve covered more constituencies than the touring political leaders! After a brief visit to Chennai to meet some old buddies, I went on a short vacation to Hogenakkal with my parents and sister’s family. The main attraction is a canyon of the river Cauvery that is around 200 ft deep. It was vacation of a different kind with bathing in the waterfalls and a fun ride in the river by means of ‘parisal’, the traditional basket boats (called ‘Coracle’ in English)! The famous ayurvedic massage (by a masseur, of course) and freshly fried fishes by the riverside were added attractions.
This is perhaps one of the very few places that still preserves and boasts of this antiquated mode of water transport which is said to be dated to the pre-Roman period. At about 70km from Dharmapuri, Hogenakkal is for sure an exciting and different weekend getaway. It is at the very end of the TN state border as one crossing the river would land up in Karnataka! Those of you who plan a trip there don’t miss out the Crocodile park which houses more than 400 of the reptiles.

After coming back to Madurai, I caught up with my rustic roots by paying a visit to the cluster of villages in the Chettinad heartland. I attended some functions, met up with relatives and went to places of worship. As CECRI alumni would know, a visit to the region is incomplete without a visit to Pillayarpatti, the favorite abode of the Elephant God and also the last resort of the Cecrians at the time of exams and placements! After doing all this traveling when the mercury was at its zenith, I must admit that the packed and overflowing buses in the summer heat would put Hitler’s gas chambers of WW II to shame! I am presently resting in Madurai, for a breather before I begin the next leg of my touring.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like an interesting trip. As an aside .. I have never had fish from a river. Whatever fish I have eaten (and it has not been less) has always been from the ocean. Somehow I have been believing that river fish doesnt taste as good and/or has more bones. Is that true?

Kesari said...

@Anya
It sure was.. u've missed the 'real' fish taste for sure!! River fish are much tastier than their ocean counterparts.. so say many of my bong friends too.. tho' bones wise I haven't seen a marked difference..