Friday, April 24, 2015

BPD: Day One Doldrums

(BackPack Diary: Day One Doldrums, 18 Apr '15)

The onward flight to Bagdogra from Hyderabad had time flying past real quick, inspite of the 2 hour stop-over at Kolkata. I was catching up with some much needed sleep at every possible opportunity, to make up for the complete night-out over the previous day. On Friday night, by the time I had cleared the work backlog (just about to make way for the 2-week trip), and did the packing (I've not yet outgrown the thrill of last minute packing), it was morning and already time to leave for the airport.

Once I landed at the Bagdogra airport and collected the luggage, there was a mini-anxiety attack - there I was all alone, with no plan of where to go next, or what to do. As the small-town airport became empty with the last bunch of travellers departing, even the touts grew less interested, looking at my blank face. I finally gathered myself and walked some distance outside the airport, to board an auto that was going to Siliguri, the nearest town. Giving me company was a family of 6 along with their dog, who were on their way to a weekend vacation at Gangtok, from Bagdogra.

Over a plate of traditional Sikkimese thali lunch at a small family run hotel, I decided to travel next to Darjeeling. I had wanted to visit the Himalayan Mountaineering Institute (HMI) and moreover, Darjeeling was a popular spot amongst backpackers, giving opportunity to get a list of other offbeat locales to visit.

Hike up to Youth Hostel, Darjeeling
The 2-hour ride to Darjeeling was engaging, on what to expect and what to do in the city, with a cheerful & chatty taxi driver from Sikkim, a set of students from Kolkata traveling for the weekend and an aged lady returning from her daughter's home. Upon reaching Darjeeling, I hiked up the hill, in search of the Tenzing Norgay Youth hostel, something that I had heard about earlier. The 3 km hike proved futile, for the place was dilapidated, needed some government clearance to stay and further didn't have any travelers. Instead I booked a room in a nearby youth hostel, which seemed to have a flurry of activity with travelers moving around.

Before calling it a day, I planned to take a brisk walk in Chowrasta, the famed hangout spot in Darjeeling. While walking past hordes of tourists bargaining in the shops and other travelers chatting up in the streets, I had a second attack of anxiety within the day, as if questioning what in the world was I doing there all alone and seemingly lost!

I had heard about most solo backpackers taking a while, and at times a full week to come to terms with the situation, and consoled myself to be alright sooner. With a quick dinner of Nepali soup, rice and dum aloo at a couple-run restaurant, I went to bed, with no alarm for the next day, no local sightseeing ideas and only a plan to 'sleep-as-much-and-as-longer-as-you-can' night! After all, its a vacation and this was just the first day of it.


2 comments:

Girish said...

I am just loving the naration!! Awesome!

Kesari said...

@Girish, glad you liked it, thanks!