Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Feature request for Twitter


Earlier this month, I got a user feedback survey questionnaire from Twitter in my account. Here are the 3 things I had asked for:

1. Smarter way to consume tweets in my account. If I manage to log in twice a day, I have several hundred tweets in my stream for the ~180 people I follow. If this is the volume with daily usage of twitter, I pity those following over 500 or 1000 people and accessing twitter once every few days. The current solution is for one to skip the tweets stream altogether or mute people, both of which defeat the very purpose of following others in the first place. One solution could be a smart summary of relevant tweets or a digest that brings one up to speed since the last login.

2. Better profile stats for a twitter account. While looking up the profile of an individual, I'd really like to see more than a simple listing of thousands of tweets & followers of a user. It would be nice to show an aggregation of interested categories, activity and how aligned is the person to my network. Today, its impossible to look at your own summary of historical activity level, unless you get an offline archive.

3. Smart recommendation of who to follow and what to read. Yes, there is some recommendation in place of 'you might be interested in', but that can get a lot smarter by going beyond the direct network. Bubbling up to most relevant tweets by interested categories / location / user's network would do a world of good to exploring the twitter-verse better.

In summary, context-relevant tools, content discovery features & a smarter analytics layer can make Twitter even more awesome.

No comments: