Saturday, February 18, 2006

My Latest Affair!!

Throughout my life, I've been besotted with a streak of affairs. If you ask me when it all actually started, I don't remember clearly. But if I were to make a guess, it was sometime as early as when I was about 12 years old. Let me describe this first crush. I was visiting my relatives in Madurai with my parents, which was supposed to be a routine courtesy call and a get-together. It was then, that I was introduced to her. She was sitting alone in their air-conditioned drawing room which was also dimly lit. That was our first tete-a-tete and I still fondly remember that. We met and interacted for close to an hour after which we had to leave, and sadly she had to be shut down ;) !

Yes, that day I was introduced to the world of Computer gaming! The first game I played was 'Parachuter' one of the 80s classics. Then, I didn't realize that computer games would become my addiction for life. My gaming mania has continued all through my school, engineering, my workex in Cognizant Technology Solutions (briefly, though) and now in FMS! Though my area of gaming has drifted from 'arena' to 'adventure' and to finally 'Strategy Games' (RTS - Real Time Strategy) where it has stayed for quite sometime now.

I have been totally obsessed with two games: Age of Empires (all releases upto the latest 3rd one) and Rise of Nations, both from Microsoft. More about these games some other time, coz they need 'sufficient dedicated space'!

Now let me come to my latest affair in this series.. About three weeks back,  in-between lectures we were chatting up as usual to discuss doubts that we had during the lecture ;),  when suddenly I saw this ‘Games’ link in yahoo messenger and decided to explore it. The drop-down threw up a host of games from 'Pool' to ‘Spades’ to what not.. That got me excited and considering my love for words, I decided to try a game called 'Word Racer'.. Man, was it enjoyable? It was amazingly entertaining.

Briefly about the game, you'll have to form words out of a maze of letters by linking the letters sequentially in any possible direction. Longer the words, more points you get. It gets better when you play against human opponents in a timed mode. Since that day I've been getting deeper into the game by playing with all my friends on Yahoo Messenger. Now I've graduated and I regularly play online in the Yahoo games site against upto 7 players over the internet.

Another person who has helped me with this addiction deserves mention here! Its Akriti Gupta, my junior at FMS who has challenged me to this game quite a number of times and won a couple of times, and lost the rest! At last count, we had a 'Best of Three' championship in 'neutral' ground (the computer centre). It was a fiercely fought war which couldn't be continued after the first two battles as it had already produced a result in my favor: 2-0. Better luck to her next time!

For starters, heres the link: http://games.yahoo.com/games/agl?gn=gn_word (Choose Word Racer)

Try playing the game and believe me, its addictive. In case you happen to play the game online anytime, watch out for the Y! id b_ganesh_2000, coz chances are that I might be online too :)

3 comments:

Ideamani said...

Hey kesari, thanks for linking me !

Rajesh said...

Hey Man,

Welcome to the bandwagon..... Happy blogging..!!!! u may want to visit mine....

http://rajeshprakasam.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Beat you a couple of times???
No wonder your nose is growing longer by the second Pinocchio!
For the record I must say that in all the games of Word Racer played thus far, I have beaten Ganes hollow. In fact he is pleading with me to start a Coaching Centre for Word Racer where unfortunate people like him can enrol. Tsk tsk...i guess the losses have caused severe delusions buddy!