Wednesday, February 15, 2006

My Take on Rang de Basanti..

The movie 'Rang de..' has won rave reviews and huge public support. Since Jan end I'd been planning to watch it because of the 'Aamir Khan' factor. After media reviews and friend's comments, I got lot more reasons to check it out.

Finally I did watch it, about a week back. Here, I'll share my take on the movie. I'm no seasoned movie critic, so let me keep it simple by talking about five things I liked best about the movie.

1. The first thing that struck me was the sheer brilliance of the parallel: British Imperial oppression & Indian freedom movement -AND- Bureacratic oppression, corruption & Middle class struggle. This brilliant concept has been handled exceptionally well by the director with scenes from both the eras switching on and off throughout the movie. This effect has been accentuated by astute deployment of Black & White colours for history and also the use of same actors in both eras. The director touches upon the striking similarities in both the stories. Another highlight is the scene of recreation of Jalianwala Bagh - where the Defence Minister takes the place of General Dyers and orders the shooting of Madhavan!

2. Another thing you notice about the movie is its refreshingly different and offbeat storyline. The first half is light, full of life and introduces the characters and their attitude to life. The characters slowly gel together and make an attempt to fit into their assigned roles in the documentary being shot by the firang. The partying reaches a dizzying height around the time of entry of Madhavan. With his departure, reality kicks in. Now the movie beautifully portrays the struggle of the characters to face reality and their difficulty to accept status quo. This is also a point where both the parallel stories converge and the real struggle to 'make a difference' in the society begins. How they butt in and contribute to the society is the rest of the story.

The movie raises a very valid point - the middle class cannot afford to comment on the status quo from a distance. If one really wants a change to come about, HE/SHE has to do it.. HE/SHE has to dirty his/her hands and set in motion a new beginning. The director has made sure that the message doesn't get lost or get diluted. In the last scene, when all the five lead characters look deep into your eyes, you are left with no option but to promise yourself that YOU WILL DO SOMETHING about it. So, strong is the message and emotion.

3. Music by AR Rahman. The background score for the movie is just mind-blowing. I'll have to admit that the first time I heard the songs, I found it kind of strange and not convincing. But then AR Rahman's music grows on you and after watching the movie, I just cannot stop listening to the tracks again! Picturisation of the popular number 'Rang de Basanti' is enchanting as you see all the colours unfolding in front of your eyes in a brilliant array. For the record, my favourite tracks are: Luka Chuppi and Khoon Chala.

4. To say that all the characters have acted well would be an understatement.. They have lived the roles and not for a minute do you think that they are 'performing' for you. Aamir Khan's outburst is ONE of the high points of acting in the movie.

5. DELHI Student Life!! Yes, the entire movie is based out of Delhi, which has been my home for the past two years. One gets to relish varied shots of Delhi, what with the camera covering all angles of Habitat Centre and a lot of other places. It gives a glimpse of the vibrancy of Delhi's student life. Aamir Khan's punjabi accent and tongue-in-cheek humour is another thing that captivates you. Towards the end of the movie you start missing him.

Overall, 'Rang De Basanti' has been a treat to relish.. I already have plans to watch it again sometime soon. Will add to this post, if I 'discover' something new!!

********************

[Post Edited - 20 Feb, 2006 3:00 AM]

Well, checked out ‘Rang de Basanti’ again at Chanakya Cinemas today and I’m just back from the show!! Know what, just as the movie got over, I was already longing to do a ‘Once More’!! This is turning into yet another compulsive addiction for me :) I cannot think of any other movie that has gone down so well with me in the past..

If you ask me what captivated my attention the second time, then undoubtedly it would be these three things: Sidharth, AR Rahman and Madhavan. Well, it’s nothing more than a coincidence that this also happens to be the Tamil connection with the movie ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice review dude....honest & fair...as far as rang de basanti is concered we share the same views....My fave song is Patshala though....

Youre right on the most important message...Its for us to take the responsibilty to make changes in our society & country...

saw it twice too...more than watchable again