Thursday, June 30, 2016

Finding Dory.. and more money spinners


Couple of weeks back, I had planned to watch Disney's 'Finding Dory'. I had thoroughly enjoyed 'Finding Nemo' and a sequel though over a decade delayed, really didn't dampen the expectations. I was all the more excited about introducing my son to this franchise. When I told him about planning to watch an animation movie over the weekend, he surprised me by asking if it was for the new 'fish' movie!

Little did I realize that Disney had done a pretty good job of running promos on all their medium - one of them happened to be the Disney kids channel, which my son is usually tuned into. After all, the kids segment is such a lucrative market, and brand extension is the name of the game. Disney has been the master here with their movies minting money as extensions into TV shows - Games - Merchandise - Retail products - Theme parks, apart from others.

Haven't we seen the reverse cycle play out equally successfully with Green Gold Animation's Chota Bheem? What started as a TV show has created an industry of its own, again spanning to cover rest of the categories - Games - Merchandise - Retail products, and... Movies. Of late, there have been many winners taking this path.

Getting back to 'Finding Dory', it was a good watch - giving one more of Nemo's magical oceanic experience. Though not ground breaking or a fresh concept like 'Finding Nemo', it has its special moments. Apart from the movie, I enjoyed the lovely pre-movie clip from Pixar studios - Piper! Check out the Youtube preview here. Won't be long before it spawns its own line of products.


No comments: