Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Celebrating Independence day

Its true that you don't need a ceremonial day to think about your country, rather this should be in your thoughts and actions round the year. Nevertheless, August 15th - the Independence day, such an occasion, however ceremonial it may appear, reinvigorates the patriotism in all of us. 

The fervour with which it is celebrated in various circles of our life adds some new meaning every year - amongst colleagues at work, with neighbours in the residential community, with children at school and at home with family. These celebrations and thoughts, particularly amongst groups of people makes it all the more meaningful and elevates the idea of a nation.

This year, there was an added dimension to this day, since our son who is in the PP-I class had to recite a patriotic song/verse in school. With a lot of googling and behind the scenes coaching, largely by my wife for this Kindergarten performance, we did learn something new! There was also help from a neighbour, Shalini Philip who came up with an original verse as a post-script to the song.

Here is a repeat of Krish's performance, from earlier today, for which, incidentally he had won the first place as well, at school!



When I searched for songs on the net, I couldn't find the lyrics for this song 'Oh my India', though there were couple of amateur videos of renditions by kids. I'm adding it here for completeness:

Oh India, Oh my India
I Love you, Oh my India!

            (Oh India..)

Bay of Bengal, Indian Ocean
Arabian Sea, is near my nation

            (Oh India..)

Great Himalayan Ghats of India
Ganga, Yamuna waters of India

            (Oh India..)

Gandhiji, Nehruji, Swami Vivekananda
Everybody knows them as great Indians

            (Oh India..)

No comments: