Friday, April 07, 2006

C.O.N.V.O.C.A.T.I.O.N


I have a strange feeling as I write this post. Our last exam was on 3rd April 2006 and it was on ‘Leadership and Change Management’, a sign of things in the days to come! On that day, the exam hall had a different aura with the entire class in our ‘Batch of 2006’ Black Tshirts. There was heavy competition in the air as to who would be the “first MBA” of the batch by completing the exam and moving out of the hall before time! After the submission of exam papers there was jubilation all round, with some juniors hanging out in the crowd and eyeing the outgoing batch with envy! In the euphoria, some apparently ‘clean n untouched’ souls too were picked up and given bumps or ‘GPL’, as we call it. Overall it was a good feeling to have completed the last exam in PG! Having been done with exams it was time for another important event.

MBA Convocation!!

This was a special occasion for each person in our batch and more so for me, coz it was my first ever degree completion ceremony. Years back, I was disappointed when I came to know that CECRI doesn’t have the practice of arranging a convocation ceremony for Engineering. They used to conveniently mail the degree certificates to the residential address! At home, I had grown up seeing my Dad's photograph in which he poses in a smart graduation wardrobe, with a scroll in hand. Not getting to pose like that after completing my Engineering was a big let down. And, this motivated me to go for an additional degree (ok, thats getting too far!) I was very thrilled and was looking forward to the occasion. At FMS, as with most other B-Schools the ceremony is held immediately after the exams where the students are awarded the provisional certificate. A second ‘official’ ceremony is held six months later, when the results come out.

On the day of the convocation ie. 4th April 2006, we reached North Campus in the evening and the podium was set up in the lawns of FMS. Quickly we got into the robe which was a black gown with golden collar and a hat. With the robes on, suddenly everyone had a scholarly look, but the make-up reminded me of a hundred Confucius’ dressed up in Chinese imperial vestment! Many parents had turned up too. It was a great feeling walking up to the stage and collecting the certificates and memorabilia in the midst of all the cheering by the crowd. People refused to part with the robes and went crazy clicking numerous snaps in all possible poses. An all time favourite snap, thanks to the movies, was the throwing off of all hats simultaneously. It was funny doing this over and over again (to many cameras), as every time we had to bend down and religiously scramble for the hats which were running in different directions! With last few snaps in front of the alma mater and the faculty, the beautiful evening came to an end.

The feeling of bschool getting over and me turning into a post-graduate (oh my, doesn’t that make me sound too old?!!) is still sinking in…

1 comment:

Kesari said...

Haha.. That was a worry at the back of everyone's mind, coz the robes were rented ones! I didn't see any 'hat injury' but there were a couple of 'injuries due to hats'!

Am collecting and collating all snaps from various sources.. Will post some of them here soon.. Promise.. :)